Thursday, April 12, 2007

one of the greats...


the image above...as found on the kurt vonnegut, jr. website. finally free...
as some of you might already know, mr. vonnegut died last night in new york. he was eighty four years old, and one of the greatest authors to ever live (in this humble gal's opinion). when i was in junior high, it was a class assignment to read one of his shorts "harrison bergeron" (http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html to read the story) and i fell in love. i was moved by his irony, humor, and uncanny ability to bring his alternate universe to life in such a way, that i felt as if it were my own. there are few things in life that move you....if you are VERY lucky, you are challenged to not only a new way of thinking, but a new way of living. mr. vonnegut did both. you will be missed...

3 comments:

CathyBB said...

Your only-SLIGHTLY-older Yankee twin is sitting here with her mouth wide open at another of our parallels! Mom called me at about 7 this morning to tell me about his death... why? Because she knew how much I loved "Harrison Bergeron" in junior high. =) I was going to email you about this but email's down today... sigh... darn technology anyway. ;)

CindySue said...

That is a GREAT story. I remember reading it when I was at Pius. (AND I remember Cathy telling me about it when she read it.) I was sad to hear about his death. What a great author.

Anonymous said...

i think i've read almost everything he's ever written and i agree with your sentiment completely. i'm sad to see him go.