Saturday, August 16, 2008

so long, farewell, auf weidersehen, adieu...

...to mommy's appendix, a hemorrhagic cyst, and a bit o'ovary! yep, that's right folks. oh where, oh where, has little blogger somer been? in the hos-pi-tal! so here's the story: thursday night i felt a bit poorly. i didn't sleep well, and finally got up at 4am with severe abdominal cramping (this might be tmi, so beware as you read ahead), i figured i had some sort of stomach bug and headed for the main bathroom (as to not wake anyone up). at 7:30 that is where clif found me. the pain had gone from severe to intense and i was a bit nervous. i began throwing up (not from nausea, but literally the pain was overtaking me), i found that the bradley method used in child labor was all that helped. clif came to check on me at some point, bring a new barf bucket, and (this is the hardest part to believe) i was utterly speechless. he told me he was taking bauer to dad's and vivian was asleep, i was just barely able to nod. it wasn't ten minutes later i knew something was very, very, VERY wrong, and i was afraid. the cold sweats had drenched ALL of me and my pj's, and i was shaking uncontrollably. i managed to find my cell phone and dial 911, then dial celeste. thank god we are so connected as friends that all i had to utter was "sissy, come get vivian." and might i just add, she made it BEFORE the ambulance!! jon was waiting for me at the hospital, and clif was on his way, so they began a fury of tests and scans. the appendix looked "oddly placed and suspicious", and my white count was 20,000, so it was a pretty good estimate the appendix was the culprit. after a brief discussion i was off to the or. NOW, if you have made it this far HERE is the kicker. after the initial location of the appendix dr. d noticed excessive blood. I WAS HEMORRHAGING from somewhere! he quickly located a ovarian cyst that had burst. so as i like to say, "i got a 2 for 1 deal!" after removing the cyst (and small piece of ovary) AND that pesky appendix (which just happened to be a life saver THIS time...i mean it is what made us head to the or to start with) i was back in my room before 8:30 pm. the next day i got up at 5am, took a shower, washed my hair, put on a little bit of "boostick" and went for a walk around the hospital. it is amazing how great you feel when you aren't hemorrhaging internally!

and just as proof of how happy and great i feel, i made clif take a picture.

oh, this is what poor cliffy had to do most of the day...keep up with the insane number of quiznos emails...he has a love/hate relationship with that blackberry, i swear it!

and here is happy me going home...twenty four hours after being admitted, and only a little more than twelve after surgery. see i told you i was ok! thanks to everyone for their love and prayers. thanks to jon, my hero anesthesiologist, sissy for taking vivian, daddy and dotdot for spending the night with the kiddos, steph for the visit, and jill for the flowers. and a very special thank you to my cliffy, who helped me pee no less than twenty times last night (that is something only true love can provide). i am so blessed to have all of you as a part of my life! :)

11 comments:

John, Shannon, and Jackson: said...

I'm glad that you are feeling so much better - you look fabulous! And, I'm still going to bring Pretty Woman to your house and watch it with you as payback. ;)

katandkarl said...

well you look fabulous. :)

hope you get to feeling better... glad everything is okay!

Unknown said...

WOW Somer, you look awesome!!!
You sure do recover fast!
Glad you are doing better & feeling back to your self, so quickly!

CathyBB said...

WHEW! I feel better "seeing" that you're okay. I knew you'd have a post on here for me... and for everyone else, too. ;)

How you crack me up! I think that "It is amazing how great you feel when you aren't hemorrhaging internally!" is going to be my new catch phrase, what do you think?

By the way, our grandmothers are surely nodding in approval that if you HAD to be in the hospital, at LEAST you got a two-for-one deal... I'm so proud!

Har har har. But again, a big WHEW! I'm so grateful it all turned out okay. Can't wait to hear now if you still made it to the baby shower!

Megan said...

Girl, that's crazy! Sounds and looks like you're all better-praise God!

By the way, I still need to call you or email you. I forgot about that thing.

Susan said...

Glad all is well again in Day-ville! Hope you liked the balloons and card, sorry we missed you last night. Whatta woman to get back to the business of a busy schedule 24 hours post-operation!

Beth said...

WOW!! Bless your heart! That must have been an ordeal! But, I'm glad to see that you are recovering nicely! :)

The Walkers said...

Crap girl!!! I have been busy and come back to check on you to find an ER trip and surgery!!!!! PLEASE be careful and stay heathly. Oh, and I don't want to be the Lee's new stalker, but PLEASE keep me in the loop on baby girl and what they may need. Sometime remind me to tell you the story of the night Brent's apendix slightly ruptured. It involves me saying "You mean we can't go on a date night?" "Here, try some gas-x" and finally Brent calling his mother-in-law and handing me the phone with her yelling at me to take him to the ER :) Fun times.

Cilla Clark said...

So sorry about your appendix! But, in true Somer Clark form, you look absolutely FAB-U-LOUS by the next day. It must be that CLARK thing....Glad to know that you are doing so well. Take care of yourselves.

Amy, David, Caroline, Corbin and Cohen said...

Goodness Somer!! I have rarely found time to check in on everyone's blog and then I just had a minute this morning. I am glad you are feeling better and you look fabulous :)

The Buttrey Family said...

What I thought was a short vacation to the beach for me sure seems like a couple of weeks worth of events for you! I am so glad that you are okay and are feeling super. You look great! Glad you got those bad boys out of ya!