Thursday, November 27, 2008

the list

got a weeee bit of insomnia tonight so i thought i would use my time wisely (if you can do such a thing at 245am). the annual list of thankfulness...

*my husband...who sometimes gets on my nerves, but always makes me laugh. who takes out the garbage without being asked, and eats every meal i have ever made (even when i accidentally add too much green food coloring to his eggs for st.pat's day and they look nuclear). who loves our little family so much, that he never complains about the 70 plus hours a week he works (so that i can stay home)...and still, finds the time to "rassle" with the kids after dinner. who has taught me so many things about kindness, forgiveness and patience...and continues to remind me to "let it go". who is patient with my frustration, who is excited at my antique fiesta finds, who has a tiny brown speck on his beautiful blue eyes that only i get to see upclose, who brings home slim jims just because he thought "mommy needed her special treat", who lets me put my cold feet on him at 3am, who attempts to do the mountainous piles of laundry, who invented the "fun shower" when vivian refused to get in the bathtub, who shaved his sad little beard, who always makes bauer part of "man time" just because he can tell i need a break, and who is someone that i want to live with when i am eighty...because i know that when i am old, wrinkly, and even more grouchy, he will still love me.

*miss vivian. who will repeat something over and over just because she knows it will make me laugh. who "has to" hug her brother every morning before she can go into her classroom. whose intense stubbornness, is only exceeded by my own. who says "bell-lllayyy" when she wants me to rub her stomach. who is overwhelmingly excited just because i say yes, when she asks "will you play with me?" who reminds me, without even knowing, how to take a moment...stop...and enjoy life. who insists we say the blessing before meals (and then proceeds to give directions as the proper way to do such). who has NO concept of what matches (ie socks, pantyhose, her brother's pants, mommy's tank top, and a toboggan) and always thinks she looks "beeeeauuutiful"...and she absolutely does!! whose sweet kisses wake me up, and whose amazing art gallery always hangs on my fridge. who offers her hand and says, "don't be 'frared' mom, i'll hold your hand." but mostly, who has given me the ultimate privilege of just being her mother.

*the bauer. who has a smile that would melt every last ice cap. who always wakes up in a good mood (never, not once, has he been in a bad one). whose sweet, staggering walk makes me grin. who has the ability to NEVER be full!! who has undying love and admiration for his sister, and says "da-da-DAAAA!" when clif walks in the door. who will blow you a kiss, just at the moment when you most need one (how does he know?). who will sit in his stroller (for almost an hour) without ever complaining, while i haggle with the insurance company. who has taught me that i can be the mother of a boy (for which i had serious doubts), who has patience at being "dressed up" with vivian, and sometime is skipped for bath time, because his mother is too lazy. who loves the bathtub...or rather splashing in it. but mostly, who continues to teach me that it is possible for the love you have for your first child, to intensify and grow with the birth of your second....and become so overwhelming (in a good way) that you can't help but feel exceedingly blessed just to be a part of their miraculous lives.

ok, so maybe this isn't the annual list....but is certainly is the three most important things for which i am grateful. :) may each of you have a wonderful, blessed thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Somer, I guess I have insomnia, too. Charlie (accidentally) woke me when he went duck hunting at 4:30am, I'm still awake an hour later. So glad you had a post for me to read. Your list almost made me cry. I love your family!

Susan said...

INSOMNIA! I wish. It wasn't MY FAULT I was up at 2:30 and again at 4. This is a new pattern of "wake-up call" that Setler started Monday night. WTH? Please tell me it's a phase!?
P.S. BRING ME BACK SOME GRIFFIN TANGERINES PLEASE. I remember them being the BEST. I think I ate like 12 one day a few years back.

CathyBB said...

Happy Thanksgiving Somer, and to Clif and the kiddos, too.

As always, BEAUTIFUL post! I'm very proud to share your DNA!